And after all that, Perry is my choice.
All the trials and tribulations, all the debates, all that money spent.
In the primary, my choice to vote for is Rick Perry. I will be voting for him in the Iowa Caucuses, and trying to convince any who wants to know who to vote for. There are many reasons for this, but I can boil it down to just a few items.
1) He’s pretty much scandal free. He’s been married once, to his high school sweetheart (check that, his grade school sweetheart). He doesn’t have any affairs, and there just doesn’t seem to be any credible evidence that he’s not a pretty good husband and father. Give it up, gay bashers, no one has come forward as his male partner. He has also been in the military. Regular Air Force, and a pilot to boot, so he was an officer. They don’t just hand out commissions to just anyone. And he’s from an agricultural background. He’s farmed for a living, and he knows what real work is.
2) He has a proven track record. There have been a lot of jobs created in Texas during this economic disaster, and contrary to Bob Beckel it’s not all government jobs that were created. From Ace of Spades (scroll down a bit for the source), there are 2 images that really bring out this fact:
Pretty powerful evidence. This is one of the big issues of this election, and he’s on the right side of this one.
3) He gives you something to vote FOR, not AGAINST. He’s been pretty out front with his positions, and you know where he stands. Right out of the gate, he said he will
- Repeal Obamacare
- keep taxes low, to spur economic growth
- Keep regulations to a minimum, to provide security for companies wanting to get in/expand their business
- Start producing energy here, in the US
- Make Washington DC as inconsequential in your life as possible
He’s not the smartest one in the room (Gingrich), or the slickest (Romney), but he has all the qualities needed. He’s not overthinking stuff, and he’s not promising the moon while avoiding taking a position. Sometimes it’s the direct approach that works, not the smartest, and not the slickest.
Many thanks to Ace of Spades for the inspiration, and to countless other Perry supporters that will hopefully bring Rick Perry to the forefront in the GOP Primaries.
Edit: Adding Links to endorsements, as I find them. Dan McLoughlin at RedState.com, Mike Flynn at BigGovernment, Sen. Jim Imhofe, Gov. Bobby Jindal, Gov. Brian Sandoval, Rep. John Carter (Texas), Rep. Mike Coffman (Colo.), Rep. Mike Conaway (Texas), Rep. John Culberson (Texas), Rep. Sam Graves (Mo.), Rep. Jeb Hensarling (Texas), Rep. Sam Johnson (Texas), Rep. Kenny Marchant (Texas), Rep. Michael McCaul (Texas), Rep. Candice Miller (Mich.), Rep. Mick Mulvaney (S.C.), Rep. Steve Scalise (La.), Rep. Pete Sessions (Texas). (2012 Endorsement Watch)